Tuesday 3 March 2020

Cannock Chase Winter Classic XC MTB 2020

I'm writing today's blog post from my sick bed, literally as I've got suspected viral tonsillitis and I'm feeling very poorly right now 🤒

Last Sunday 1st March was my first race of 2020, it was the Cannock Chase Winter Classic XC MTB race, and I had entered the Women's 'Fun class' which was 2 laps of the course.

I had been feeling unwell for about a week before the weekend, suffering with an on/off sore throat and just feeling generally meh 🤢

My Husband Leigh was also ill but with a nasty chesty cough and cold symptoms so I presumed I was on the way to getting that, but I dosed myself up on Echinacea, organic Cider Vinegar and 1000mg Vitamin C every day and apart from the sore throat and slightly stuffy nose it didn't feel like it was going to manifest into anything really nasty, so I went to work all last week and even went out for a ride on the bike a few days before.  I didn't feel too bad and had convinced myself I would be OK to race on the Sunday.

Then the day before the race I woke up feeling awful, I felt feverish, sore throat had returned, just felt giddy and I quietly resigned myself to pulling out and just spectating but kept telling Leigh I would make a final call on the day, and asked him to prep my bike and I got all my gear ready, just in case I felt better.

I woke Sunday morning, feeling absolutely fine! 🙂  Weird, but my symptoms had been on and off for the last few days, so the race was on!

I decided to dose myself with cold and flu tablets just to be on the safe side, had a huge mug of Bulletproof coffee, then we loaded the van and headed over to Cannock Chase Tackeroo campsite where the event village and race start were set up.

We go there quite early and registration wasn't due to open for another half an hour but we headed over there anyway to find a few people looking at the entry lists.  We bumped into Tim Cooper from the Team, who had recced the course the day before and was saying how muddy it was already... great! 🤔

I got my number board and decided as it was still reasonably quiet I would head out and do a practice lap and to warm up as it was bloody freezing!



Off I went... the course takes you up and down the event village to start, then through the bomb holes and into the first section of forest along some singletrack where the Forestry Commission have been working so there's lots of felling debris, including large pieces of tree trunk across the trail at an angle, muddy ruts, tree stumps in the middle of the trail which meant paying particular attention to reading the trail ahead to decide which side to ride around, especially as this could potentially be a passing place for a rider behind... throw in a load of sticky, gloopy mud and roots and puddles and that gives you a good idea of what to expect for the next 3 miles!

It was slippery to say the least...

Then out of the forest, across the fire road into the next section of forest, more of the same tight, twisty, very muddy singletrack but with a long stretch where the logging vehicles had previously been so it was rutted either side and although it was more than wide enough to ride, the mud was so churned up from tyres, it was hard to keep a straight line and the trail was dropping away so I knew this was going to be hard work to keep momentum and upright whilst battling with other riders! 😬

I could already feel my tyre treads filling up with the sticky mud and my grip was getting less and less, it's horrible mud at Cannock, it just sticks like shit to a stick! 

The trail continued, and then into the next section which was slightly different and it was more familiar territory for me (quite like the the plantations at Pines), a bit more loamy with pine trees so the ground was softer, not as wet and muddy but there were bomb holes in places where the water sits and some nasty little kick ups which were very slippery, one in particular I spun on the spot and had to jump off and run with the bike to get up it (that's gonna be fun in the race, I thought!) this lead out into an open area (sunshine! ☀☀☀) and took you down a nice descent into a muddy right hander (which would catch me out on lap 2 of the race!) then it was a long slog of a climb up a fire road, made harder by the layer of mud, this would get a lot worse later after a few hundred riders had been up it!

Then it was into what can only be described as the "Hill of Hell! 😂  It was off the fire road straight into a steep climb into the forest which was littered with felling debris; large sections of tree trunk, roots and thick mud, my already failing tyres just gave up any grip they had left, as did I, and I reluctantly hopped off the bike and pushed... to my embarassment I was passed here by George Copper and Jacob Steed, our young guns from the Team, who happily pedalled up the hill as if it wasn't there! 🙄  I kept pushing as there was nowhere suitable to jump back on without just spinning on the spot.  I made a mental note here to make sure I had changed to a suitable gear for further up this section whilst still pedalling on the fire road; too low a gear and I'd be spinning, too high a gear and my tired legs just wouldn't turn over!

Eventually it was back out onto another fire road and onto another muddy twisty forest trail which eventually took you up a long muddy (did I mention there was lots of mud!) slog of a climb out towards the bomb holes and event village, but this wasn't the end of the lap, it was about 1.8 miles in, so I kept going knowing I still had a way to go... 

The course continued out the other side of the event village, onto more familiar trails, which again were starting to feel the impact of so many riders; thick greasy mud, submerged sections of tree trunk and roots, all trying to kick me off, or that's what it felt like, and with less than a mile to go and the event village still visible I decided enough was enough and I pulled off and went back to the van.

When I got back to the van, I was questioning my tyre choice and feeling quite pissed off that I didn't go with my gut instinct the day before to put on my DT Swiss wheels with the Maxxis Forekaster's.  Hubby had moaned that he'd have to swap the cassette, re-index the gears etc... well that's one lesson learnt, to go with the tyres I have the most experience and confidence with and although they wouldn't have the grip of Maxxis DH Minions for example (I know cos I had them on my last bike), I knew they had better grip on the rear than the Vittoria Morza which was currently on the bike, which I should also point out is a dry trail tyre!

Whilst I appreciate Leigh does the mechanics on my bike, there are times when I wish he would put his stubbornness aside and actually listen to what I want.  I am usually a very confident and capable rider in the mud, and have been riding with Maxxis Forekasters on my Intense Primer for well over 7 months, and only went over to the Vittoria's at the beginning of February when he gave me his HopeTech Enduro wheels which were fitted with the Vittoria tyres.  I've done 2 rides on them in muddy conditions and didn't feel that confident, so in hindsight it was a stupid decision to race on these tyres!

After I grumbled and moaned at him for a bit for not listening to me, I made the decision to race anyway, after all I was in the 'Fun' class and it was only 2 laps.  This race wasn't about podiums, it wasn't about lap times, it was just to get some race experience and have fun!  I gave the bike a quick wash as it was caked in mud already and we headed over to the event village to watch the E-bikes, Youths and Beginners races and so Leigh could take some photos for the Team.


Caked in mud already and the Race hadn't even started! 

The Men's and Women's 'Fun' races were due to start around 10.45am, the Men going first, then the Women's race was due to start 2-3 minutes later.

I had ridden around for a good 15 minutes or so to try and warm up a bit before heading to the holding area near the start, it was sooo cold, I was shivering and Leigh kindly lent me his coat. 

Photo credit: Leigh Batten

I was starting to regret wearing 3/4 length cycling pants under my shorts instead of going for full length thermal cycling tights and my hands were going numb but I find I warm up very quickly when I am riding, so wearing thermal gloves wasn't an option!  It's quite tricky judging what to wear, you want to be warm but not overheat!  I always have to wear a buff over my face in the winter, as I find cold air makes me cough, but I was to regret wearing that later too!

After what felt like forever, the Men's race set off and we were called to the start line.  I had already looked around at the other riders; you can gauge a lot from what people are wearing, and the bikes they are riding.

I was in Sherwood Pines Cycles Team top and there were a few other ladies in team attire.  There were also quite a few ladies in hoodies, fleeces, leggings and trainers, not what I would consider 'race' attire so I placed myself on the start line based on what I could see around me.  It was clear who was an experienced rider and who was there just for the fun of it.  I sat on 'row 2' (there wasn't a formal start grid) and I hoped to get far away enough from the inexperienced riders so I wouldn't get caught up in any situations that arose from lack of experience in what were to be very trying conditions!

And then we were off!

I kept up with the front pack through the event village, through the bomb holes and into the first section of forest, sliding all over the place but somehow managing to keep upright!

Photo credit: Leigh Batten

Photo credit: Leigh Batten

Then into the next section of forest where there were tree trunks sunken into the mud at an angle, you could pop the front end to clear them or turn into the corner so they were straight on and easy to ride over, I chose the latter but the lady in front tried to ride over them at angle and next thing I know she binned it and ended up lying across the trail leaving me with no way to get round so I had to stop to let her get up, in the meantime, 2 riders pass us on the other side! She apologised as she got up and I managed to get past her and carry on... I'm already cursing that I've lost places.

The course, as I suspected was now a mud bath, the section where the Forestry vehicles had previously been were so churned up from the previous riders, in the end I decided the safest way through was down the right hand rut, trying my best not to catch my pedal along the way, I made it through in one piece... phew!

Then it was out into the clearing and down towards the muddy right hand turn, I slowed down enough to take the outside line and pedalled as hard as I could up the muddy fire road climb remembering to change to an appropriate gear before hopping off to push up the "Hill of Hell" which had deteriorated considerably since my last attempt!

I managed to get back on the bike and kept going, albeit rather slowly as my legs were fading fast from all the mud and extra effort needed to keep upright and moving forward.  I was enjoying the course once I got enough momentum and speed but every once in a while I would stall, either from spinning the back wheel on a root or sinking in the mud, it was hard work and I was blowing out my arse! 

I came to another section with a nice little drop which I had no problem with but the lady in front of me who clearly hadn't done a practice lap as she was pristine on the start line, decided she had to stop and walk down it! So I waited for her to get to the bottom and I quickly got past her and carried on, eventually coming to the long sloggy muddy climb back to the bomb holes and event village.  It was here I was met with cheers and words of encouragement from Leigh and Darren our Team Manager 😁 "Keep going" they shouted and I tried to smile... 😂

Photo credit: Leigh Batten

Then it was into unknown territory, as I hadn't completed the practice lap that morning.  I had just over a mile to go on this first lap and was excited to see what laid ahead, as so far the course had been fantastic despite the mud and horrible climbs!

It quickly turned into more muddy singletrack, weaving through tight Pine tree plantations, then as I turned left I saw a sign for a technical feature ahead, not knowing what it was, I chose the B line which dropped into a steep bomb hole and an equally steep climb out the other side which I made, then along a very narrow off camber trail along the top of the banked slope with the A line running below.  I rejoined the course and it continued into a nice long descent, enough to give my legs and lungs a rest for a few seconds before another steep muddy climb, which I got half way up but the trail was blocked by 3 riders pushing up and with no way of passing them I had to get off too.  I quickly got past them and hopped back on and the trail continued along another flowing descent.

The remainder of the lap consisted of another long fire road climb, followed by some more muddy singletrack and onto the final fire road climb back into the event village, where once again I was greeted with more cheers and words of encouragement from Leigh and other members of the team 😊

Photo credit: Leigh Batten

I will admit now as I crossed the Start/Finish line to commence Lap 2, I had a little moment where I thought to myself  "you know what, I've done a full lap, I could quit now"... but I decided No, I'm going round again...

Photo credit: Peter Wilkes Photography

Second time round, I had no one in front of me?  The first lap I had been riding with 3 other ladies, we all swapped places along the way, giving words of encouragement when one of us was stuck in mud or had fallen off but this time they were nowhere to be seen?  It may be, they were better on the climbs than me and had pulled away, but to loose all 3 of them was a bit odd I thought? Oh well...

Having some space in front of me meant I could up the pace a little, I was still quite wary of riding over roots, tree trunks etc as my rear tyre was not filling me with confidence!  I poutled along quite happily until I came to the right hand muddy corner which I had safely navigated on previous occasions!  This time it had turned into a mega mud bath, no other description for it really, there was no longer a safe outside line so I went through the middle, not my best idea and of course I sank in the mud, then I stalled, then I tried to put my left foot down and that sank too and then I had a lie down... man, that mud stank and I swore quite loudly 🤬 much to the amusement I suspect of the guy watching from the side line who asked if I was OK?  

Didn't help me up though, thanks for that mate! 😕😤

I was starting to worry that my bike was making strange noises; my gears, my brakes... I was slowing down considerably, probably due to all the extra mud I had acquired along the way!  I had done one of the drops where a marshal was placed and decided I needed to investigate the noises before I did any long lasting damage.  I hopped off and started looking over the bike, only to discover my bottom bracket, cassette and derallieur were caked in mud, were full of debris; pine needles, leaves, twigs... the Marshal asked if I needed help (how kind) we spent the next few minutes trying to clear everything out.  I wasn't worried about lap times but this really wasn't going to help my final ranking for the day but my bike is more important at the end of the day!

After thanking the lovely marshal, I carried on and eventually got back to the bomb holes and event village. I was starting to feel tired and I was really thirsty.

I normally ride with a backpack and hydration bladder but because this race was only 6 miles and supposed to be less than an hours riding, I decided to take a bottle instead fitted into a cage on the frame.  With all the mud splatters, I couldn't drink from the bottle without risking being violently ill so I had no choice but to stop and unscrew the top from the bottle so I could safely take a drink. 

Another lesson learnt!

The final mile approached, I exited the event village after briefly seeing Leigh again and then suddenly without warning I was on the floor in the brambles, my back wheel had spun on a root and thrown me off! I quickly scrambled to my feet, a little embarrassed as I had an audience and sped off shouting "I'm OK, nothing to see here!" 😂

Before I knew it I was back on the final climb to the event village, no sign of Leigh at the top, or any one else come to that but I needn't have worried as Leigh was waiting for me at the Finish Line 😊

Photo credit: Leigh Batten

I was relieved it was all over and quite proud that I had finished and hadn't give in to the little voice in my head at the end of Lap 1.

I had no idea where I had finished, Leigh seemed to think I was in the top 10 which I doubted given my overall time?

I was in one piece apart from some scratches and bruises and I was very muddy by now and probably a bit smelly from my lie down in the mega mud bath!  I was coughing like I had a 60 a day habit, I was knackered and sooo thirsty!   I headed back to the van and Leigh went and got me a cappuccino.

Happy, relieved, knackered and very muddy! (Photo credit: Leigh Batten)


It took 25 litres of water and our portable power washer to clean all this mud off! No wonder I was slowing down towards the end with all that additional weight!

Turns out, I finished 14th out of 24 riders, 10 of them didn't finish the race so I was the last lady in but who cares!  I'm not surprised that many DNF to be honest, having looked at what some of them were wearing and riding at the start I suspect they found the course really challenging but hats off to everyone who did complete the race, it was really tough and I'm sure if I had been feeling 100% at the start, if I had chosen my other tyres, if I hadn't stopped to clear all the mud out of my gears etc and stopped to have a drink I would have been top 10, who knows?

To summarise, I would class this race as Type 2 fun, where you hate it at the time but on reflection you realise that actually it was a bloody good effort with room for improvement!

Lessons learned?

1. Don't ride when you're feeling ill, the knock on effect from riding on Sunday will probably stay with me for a week or so now!

2. Don't change things on your bike, or have a set up you're not that sure of?  I don't know if the Maxxis tyres would have been any better in these conditions but having more confidence in them as I had more experience with them would have helped me mentally.  Riding/Racing is as much a mental thing as a physical thing!

3. If it's super muddy, don't rely on a water bottle for hydration, take a back pack! 

I do prefer Enduro to XC only because there's less pedalling involved (on the downhill bits anyway!) but it was good fun so I'm probably going to do a couple of rounds of the Midlands XC MTB series this summer, round 3 is at Cannock end of May (It's a National champs round) and they have a Fun class, so I think that's a definite 😊

If nothing else, XC is fantastic for fitness and building skills, and it's bloody good fun too! 


Results can be found here

You can watch a full lap of the Men's Fun class here


Congratulations to Sherwood Pines Cycles Team and members of Sherwood Pines Cycling Club who took part, we had a number of race winners, everyone put in a top effort and supported each other, which is so important.

Photo credit: Leigh Batten


Thanks to:
My Husband Leigh!  Without his help I couldn't do any of this as he's my bike mechanic, bike cleaner and support crew ❤❤
Sherwood Pines Cycles Team 💚🖤
Sherwood Pines Cycling Club
Team Sponsors
Vittoria Tyres https://www.vittoria.com/eu/

Ambassador for:
Absolute Black oval chain rings https://absoluteblack.cc/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cannock Chase Winter Classic XC MTB 2020

I'm writing today's blog post from my sick bed, literally as I've got suspected viral tonsillitis and I'm feeling very poo...