Wednesday 18 December 2019

Going 'Keto' and why it's the best thing since erm sliced bread

If you know anything about the Ketogenic 'Keto' lifestyle you'll know I was trying to be funny with that Post Title.. we don't eat sliced bread on Keto, it's full of nasty carbs and things ๐Ÿคจ

Anyway, my attempt at humour is rubbish, so best I stick to riding bikes than telling jokes!



For the last couple of years I have hated myself every time I look in the mirror, I see a short, fat, flabby middle aged woman, unhappy at her shape, unhappy at her level of fitness. ๐Ÿ˜ข

I've been plagued with injuries during that time, both shoulders giving me problems from falling off the mountain bike and falling off walls (at an obstacle race), broken ribs from the latter, lower back problems... all amounting to having long periods of being pretty sedentary, eating the wrong foods, comfort eating, drinking wine and beer at weekends and all because I hated being injured, hated not being able to ride my bike and hated being overweight (I was tipping the scales at 11st 5 at my heaviest) and yep, its a vicious cycle which is hard to break but something had to give and this photo taken in July where I was at my heaviest, the day I got my Intense Primer, made me realise to my horror and embarrassment that I needed to do something about my weight, my diet and my fitness!



I had heard about the Keto diet on social media and started reading up about it, I just happened to be sitting at the dining table one Sunday with my laptop open looking at a website called Diet Doctor and my husband asked "are you thinking of going Keto?" to which I replied "erm, maybe, why?" 

Well it turns out my hubby knew more about Keto than me, he had first heard about it on the HKT Podcast after listening to an interview with World Champion BMX rider Josh Perry who is a huge advocate of the Ketogenic lifestyle.  His story is quite simply amazing and inspiring and even if you don't agree with the idea of Keto, I urge you to visit his website and find out a bit more about his story.

I read some more, lots more actually and we discussed what it could potentially do for both of us with regards to weight loss, and potential improved energy levels on the bikes etc and we decided to take the plunge together and the rest as they say is history!

So what is involved in the process of going Keto?

Before I started Keto I had never looked at my carb intake before, I was always counting calories and believing the way to loose weight was to always be in a calorie deficit. I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight when I was regularly burning 3000+ calories a day by doing cardio (indoor bike training, riding my mtb to and from work etc) and only eating 1800 calories a day.  I was always tired and I put that down to exercising.

Since going Keto I've cut most processed foods from my diet, stopped eating bread, potatoes, rice, couscous, pasta, porridge etc all of which used to be consumed on a daily basis even when I thought I was eating healthily.  Eating a huge bowl of porridge for breakfast with blueberries and honey, taking a couscous salad to work for lunch, eating a pasta bake for dinner with vegetables, not realising I was consuming approx 200g carbs a day, no wonder my energy levels were suffering and I was feeling bloated all the time and not losing weight ๐Ÿ˜•

Keto has made me really scrutinise my diet and I actually eat more healthily now as I can't take shortcuts eating ready meals etc. I have to plan a weeks menu in advance, I cook everything from scratch now, I batch cook and freeze food and whatever we have for dinner in the evening, we have for lunch the next day so we are eating 2-3 balanced meals a day with lots of green veg.

The best thing about Keto is there are alternatives for pretty much everything we have cut out, Celeriac is great for chips, mash and roasties, there's Fathead Pizza made with almond flour and cheese, we eat loads of steak, bacon, pork, cheese, homemade curries etc, there's even Keto bread rolls, naan bread, garlic bread, I've even made Keto bagels.. the possibilities are endless and all low carb!





I have been on the Keto lifestyle for 5 months now, I've shed a total of 23lbs, taking me from 11st 5 to 9st 10, from a dress size 14+ to size 10, losing 4 inches off my bust and 8" off my waist!  Not to mention I no longer feel and look bloated, my mind feels clearer, I no longer feel tired all the time, my joints have stopped aching and the best bit I have so much energy riding my bike, I'm not craving sugary, high carb foods for fuel when I ride and most of my rides will consist of 4+ hours, 30+ miles of cross country mountain biking on nothing more than a Bullet Proof Coffee... amazing!

In the space of 20 weeks I have gone from this ⬇


  

To this ⬇

 

I've still got a way to go but I've stopped looking at the scales now and go by how my clothes feel, I'm in desperate need of a new wardrobe but as I am weight training now and building muscle I'm holding off buying too many new clothes.

Losing so much weight and feeling so much more energised has transformed my biking, it's given me confidence and I just feel so much better for reducing my carb intake, cutting out sugars and processed foods and I can't wait to see how much of an impact this has on my racing next year! ๐Ÿ˜Š

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cannock Chase Winter Classic XC MTB 2020

I'm writing today's blog post from my sick bed, literally as I've got suspected viral tonsillitis and I'm feeling very poo...